Family says girl got treatment only 7 hours after accident | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Family says girl got treatment only 7 hours after accident

mumbai Updated: Apr 03, 2012 01:28 IST
Puja Changoiwala

The family of 19-year-old Nimisha Mane, who is critical after her friend crashed the car they were in at Juhu, alleges that she was given no treatment at Cooper and Bhabha hospitals where she was initially taken, and that her treatment began seven hours after the accident.

“Her father found her lying alone on a bed in Bhabha hospital. No one was with her, no treatment was being given. He decided to move her to Nanavati hospital, but there was no one to even offer a stretcher,” said Pramod Mane, Nimisha’s uncle.

Mane said his niece was initially taken to Cooper hospital from where she was shifted to Bhabha and then to Nanavati. “By the time her treatment began, seven hours had lapsed. This level of negligence is unforgivable.”

“We can’t handle high-level emergencies like this one. The case required a CT scan, which we don’t have. We have stretchers but they get used if there are more emergencies,” said Dr Shashikant Wadekar, medical superintendent, Bhabha hospital.

Mane said Nimisha, who had failed her HSC exams and reappeared for them in October 2011, had told her parents she was going to her friend Shivani Rawat’s home to study. The car crash killed 18-year-old Shivani.

“When her parents heard about the accident, they were completely shocked,” he said. “All we want is for Nimisha to be fine. We want her to recover and be the same lively person she was. As far as the boy [Rahul Mishra, who was driving the car] is concerned, law will take its course,” he said. Mane has suffered major brain injuries and is critical. “Her condition has not changed. She is not getting better,” said Dr Ashok Hatholkar, medical superintendent, Nanavati hospital.

Nimisha’s parents said they were too traumatised to speak.