Farmer drinks poison outside Mantralaya, dies
Madhav Dinaji Kadam from Janapur district in Nanded was tired of asking local collector for the Rs2,000 he was owedmumbai Updated: Mar 26, 2016 21:49 IST
A 27-year-old farmer from Nanded passed away on Saturday morning after he consumed poison outside Mantralaya on Tuesday.
According to police, the farmer, Madhav Dinaji Kadam from Janapur district in Nanded, was tired of asking for money from his local collector.
The government had declared a compensation of Rs6,800 for the drought-hit farmers in Nanded.
But the collector handed him only Rs4,800 that, too, after the tiller had made several rounds to the collector’s office because he did not give him the remaining amount he was entitled to.
The farmer, thus, decided to commit suicide outside the Mantralaya, the police said.
Speaking to HT, his brother-in-law Maruti Gangaram Puyad, said, “Kadam took all the money from the house and left on Tuesday morning. But no one was aware where he was going. However, on Wednesday, I got a call from the police saying he has been admitted at Saint George Hospital.”
The farmer is survived by his wife Padmavati, 25, to whom he got married in 2009 and the two had a three-year-old daughter and one-and-a-half-year-old son.
According to initial reports, the farmer had consumed an insecticide called Clorifyrofoss, which he had brought along. He gulped it outside the new administration building near the Mantralaya on Tuesday. Following the incident, he was admitted to the hospital and simultaneously, the locals informed the cops.
Senior inspector Popat Yadav from Marine Drive police station said, “Our investigations have revealed that the farmer came to the spot and drank the poison, which he had got along with him. After admitting him, we took his statement and informed his family members as well.”
Yadav added that on Friday night, his brother-in-law had come to the city to meet him. In the morning around 4am, the farmer was declared dead by the doctors.
The Marine Drive police have registered a case of accidental death.
The body was handed over to his brother-in-law around 12.30pm on Saturday.