Fewer deaths due to rooftop travelling, say railway police
Ajit Kanojia (25) was travelling on the roof of a CST-Khopoli train when he came in contact with an overhead wire at Kurla station on Saturday. He died while undergoing treatment at Bhabha hospital.mumbai Updated: Oct 11, 2010 01:23 IST
Ajit Kanojia (25) was travelling on the roof of a CST-Khopoli train when he came in contact with an overhead wire at Kurla station on Saturday. He died while undergoing treatment at Bhabha hospital.
On October 4, an unidentified person died after falling off the roof of a Virar-Bandra train, while another got electrocuted after touching an overhead wire.
On October 1, Zeeshan Shaikh (23), who was travelling from Mira Road to Mahim on the roof of a train, sustained 95% burns.
The Government Railway Police (GRP) claim that deaths because of rooftop travelling have dropped as they have been conducting a drive against it, though incidents of the past week suggest otherwise.
“There is a drastic drop in the number of rooftop travellers in the past few months so the number of accidents has also decreased. Some people have understood that there are slim chances of survival after falling from the rooftop of a moving train or coming in contact with high voltage wire, and that life is more important than not missing a train,” said PM Karyakarte, senior inspector of Borivli GRP.
About six months ago, the railways increased the capacity of the overhead wires to 25000 volts between Borivali and Virar stations.
Karyakarte said on several occasions the police have not let a train pull out of the platform until the rooftop is cleared of commuters. “We conduct regular drives in which we apprehend and fine people,” he said.
A person caught travelling on the rooftop is handed over to the Railway Protection Force, which produces the offender in the railway court. The commuter is released after he pays a fine.
The maximum number of rooftop travellers is on the western line, a GRP official said.
Many youngsters choose to travel on the rooftop because it is an adventure. They don’t realise how dangerous an adventure it can be,” said a GRP officer, requesting anonymity.