More partying Mumbaiites drank responsibly this New Year’s eve as compared to last year, if the number of motorists held for drinking and driving is any indication. No major accidents were reported during the celebrations on December 31.
The drop in drink driving cases can be attributed to serious police presence and nakabandis across the city, which discouraged people from taking risks.
Statistics compiled by the traffic police show that 739 drivers were booked for drink driving on Saturday as against 860 drivers booked on December 31 last year. One of the offenders was driving an ambulance.
“This year, we earmarked 75 spots - three times the number of spots earmarked every year – and stationed our men there to check people driving under the influence of alcohol,” said Brijesh Singh, additional commissioner of police (traffic).
The response from establishments where liquor is served was also good as many ensured that their patrons who consumed alcohol did not drive, he said.
“In spite of having more checkpoints – that should have seen more people booked – the number of persons booked for drink driving came down. That’s an achievement,” Singh said. “In general, people behaved responsibly and did not mix drinking and driving.”
The traffic police began its drive against drink driving a week ago, and there were nakabandis across the city from 5pm to 5am everyday. The drive involved the presence of more policemen at accident-prone spots and visits to establishments serving liquor to tell them to do their bit to avoid drink-driving accidents.
Of the 739 people booked on New Year’s eve, 511 were bikers and 179 were car drivers. The others included 18 tempo drivers, 14 three-wheeler drivers, five cabbies and nine truck and trailer drivers, two private bus and one ambulance driver, the police said.