Raju Shinde, the contractor who was shot at on Friday, had been receiving threats for the past four months and had also written to police chief Rakesh Maria about it, his lawyer Sushan Kunjuraman alleged. The police department has refuted the claims.
“In January, Shinde had approached officials at the local Aarey sub police station and Maria, seeking protection from his business rivals,” Kunjuraman said. “We wrote three letters on January 4, 10 and 14, stating that Shinde had received a tip-off that his rivals were planning to take over his business.”
With no police action, Shinde had issued a notice to the police, after which they recorded the statements of the contractor and his partner, but did not probe the matter, Kunjuraman said.
The news has, however, left the Shindes, who live in Adarsh Nagar at Aarey Colony, distraught.
“He left home at 11.30am, after he got a call from a client. Why would someone want to kill him,” asked Shinde’s mother.
Contrary to his neighbours’ claims, the police said Shinde has at least 14 criminal cases registered against him, which include body offences such as assault. While he is acquitted in some of the cases, several cases are pending in court, police said.
Along with professional rivalry, the police are checking if the underworld had a role to play in the attack.