Fire at food joint kills 8-month-old boy
An eight-month-old boy died while undergoing treatment for injuries sustained in a fire that broke out at a breakfast joint in Malad (East) on Friday. Five others sustained grievous injuries in the incident. A leakage in a LPG cylinder stored at the food joint is said to have caused the fire.mumbai Updated: Apr 23, 2011 00:43 IST
An eight-month-old boy died while undergoing treatment for injuries sustained in a fire that broke out at a breakfast joint in Malad (East) on Friday. Five others sustained grievous injuries in the incident. A leakage in a LPG cylinder stored at the food joint is said to have caused the fire.
The deceased has been identified as Arush Chaube, the son of one of the owners of the food joint. The police are yet to ascertain whether Arush is the son of 32-year-old Nandlal Chaube or 29-year-old Panchlal Chaube, the two brothers who own the Sainath breakfast centre, located in the Sainath Niwas slum area in Kurar where the fire broke out.
Nandlal, Panchlal, their mother Brahmadevi, 72, and two servants Pankaj Kashyap, 25 and Sonu Yadav, 22, sustained grievous burn injuries. While Nandlal and Panchlal are being treated at Sanjeevni hospital the others are being treated at Bhagwati Hospital.
The police said Nandlal and Panchlal had illegally stored more than 27 LPG cylinders at the food joint. “On Friday, at 8.30pm, the duo was shifting the LPG cylinders from one room to other. One of the cylinders was leaking and while shifting it, it set off a fire in the hotel,” said a police officer on condition of anonymity.
On seeing the flames, locals informed the fire department and three fire engines were rushed to the spot. “The gas leakage set off a spark that set the surroundings on fire. All gas cylinders were sealed by the BMC,” said Vilas Kuwaiskar, divisional fire officer.
Neighbouring shop owners said that they immediately poured water on the shop and extinguished the fire before the fire officials reached the spot.
Ramrao Pawar, additional commissioner of police (north region) said, “We have booked Nandlal and Panchlal under several sections of the IPC including 304 (a) (causing death due to negligence, 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others), 278 (making atmosphere noxious to health) in addition to the sections applied by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation for storing LPG cylinders illegally. We will be arresting them as soon as they are discharged from the hospital.”