Fire brigade rescues 10 persons trapped in Tardeo building blaze | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 07, 2016-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fire brigade rescues 10 persons trapped in Tardeo building blaze

mumbai Updated: Aug 10, 2012 01:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Mumbai fire brigade deployed eight fire engines, four water tankers and two aerial ladder platforms to douse the fire that broke out on the ninth floor of Everest House, a commercial building in Tardeo, on Thursday evening.

Fire officials said that the 500-square-feet office of H-1, Goragandhi, located on the ninth floor, caught fire at around 5pm. Soon after, smoke engulfed the eight and tenth floors of the 10-storeyed building. Ten persons, who were trapped on the ninth and tenth floors, were rescued by fire brigade officials. A short circuit in the office was stated as a prima facie reason behind the blaze by eyewitnesses.

Rashmi Mishra, 29, a chartered accountant, who was one of those rescued, said: “There was confusion as we could not gauge the magnitude. Smoke soon started entering the office and we were forced to shut the door. Panic struck as the CCTV cameras installed in our office showed the corridors filled with black smoke. Thankfully, we were rescued in time.”

Four persons were injured in the incident. Nandkishore Vasudev Ghagre, 40, is said to be in a critical condition and has been admitted to the trauma ward of Nair hospital. Three others, who were sent to the hospital after they complained of choking and suffocation, were discharged later. There were no burns in the incident.

“We received the first call at 5.19pm and reached the spot in 10 minutes. It took us over one-and-a- half hours to bring the fire under control. Six persons were rescued from the ninth floor, and four from the tenth with the help of the hydraulic ladder,” said Suhas Joshi, chief fire officer, Mumbai fire brigade.

Joshi also said that the dry riser in the building was not working and fire extinguishers were of little help as people were not trained to use them.

tags