Fire guts 2,000sq-ft flat in Andheri, three injured | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Fire guts 2,000sq-ft flat in Andheri, three injured

mumbai Updated: Mar 11, 2011 01:42 IST
Bhavika Jain
Bhavika Jain
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A fire that started from a TV set gutted a sprawling 2,000 sq-foot flat on the 12th floor of the 17-storeyed Kanchan Ganga building in Andheri, leaving three women injured.

The fire started at 11. 37am in flat 1201 and 1202, which had been combined and in which 10 members of the Agarwal family live. The fire brigade reached the spot in 20 minutes and evacuated 65 residents from floors 12 to 17.

Of the three injured women, Divyani Sawant, 45, who lives on the 13th floor, suffered 85 per cent burns and is critical.

Shantabai Naik, 65, a house help and Anita Agarwal, 40, who lives on the 16th floor, were unconscious due to the smoke. They were all admitted to Kokilaben Ambani hospital, but Sawant, who is critical, was later shifted to Masina Hospital in Byculla.

“Sawant opened her door to check the situation outside, when the cylinder in the 12th floor flat exploded and the flames burnt her,” said Vaishali Sharma, a resident.

They were four other women in Sawant’s house, who were unhurt. According to the fire brigade, the fire that gutted the 12th floor house, began in the hall. The gas cylinder that exploded in the kitchen destroyed the house, passage and the stairway of the building.

According to residents, the flat is owned by Vasudev Agarwal, a chartered account who lives with his wife, two sons, their wives and their four children.

The owners told fire officials that two children were attending tuitions and one was watching cartoons on TV. Hari Om, their house help said they suddenly saw sparks coming from the TV set and its wiring. “One of the sons turned off the main switch and told the security who tried to douse the fire with a fire extinguisher. They finally called the fire brigade when the fire got out of hand,” the official said.

Twenty firemen fought to control the fire, which was doused after two hours.

Flats on the 13th and 14th floors have also been damaged as the flames spread.

Chief fire officer, Uday Tatkare said an inquiry had been instituted into the incident and the cause would be known only when the report was submitted.