Four days after Sheena murder, Peter, Indrani went to Goa | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Four days after Sheena murder, Peter, Indrani went to Goa

mumbai Updated: Nov 23, 2015 13:48 IST
HT Correspondent
Sheena murder

Indrani Mukerjea and her husband Peter Mukerjea. (Prodip Guha/HT file photo)

As the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) prepares to produce former media baron Peter Mukerjea in court on Monday, will it be able to substantiate the charges of conspiracy against him in the murder of his stepdaughter Sheena Bora or will it file a discharge application? CBI sources said it was highly unlikely that the agency would let Peter off the hook. Sources close to the investigation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the CBI had found that Peter, who was in the United Kingdom and then holidaying with his adopted daughter Vidhie in Rome, had come to Mumbai on April 28, 2012, four days after Sheena was murdered and her body was disposed of in a thickly forested area in Raigad.

After disposing of Sheena’s body, her mother Indrani Mukerjea, her ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna and driver Shyamwar Rai had returned to Mumbai. On April 27, 2012, Indrani and Khanna had left for Kolkata. But the very next day Indrani returned to Mumbai to receive Peter, and the two of them went to Goa the same day.

CBI wants more clarity on why Peter, who was holidaying with Vidhie in Rome, returned to Mumbai four days after the murder. CBI found that Peter and Indrani stayed in Goa till May 1, before returning to Mumbai and taking a flight to the UK. Peter’s role came into question after Rahul Mukerjea, his son from his first wife Shabnam, showed CBI officials his mobile phone conversations with Peter and Indrani that he had recorded on his Blackberry.

In the conversations, Peter reportedly told Rahul that he had talked with Sheena who had been sent to Los Angeles, said CBI sources. This was the story Indrani had put out. Rahul had saved the conversations after his mother Shabnam had advised him to do so, and had kept the mobile phone all this while. Rahul has given the phone to the CBI and it will be part of the evidence.

He recorded the conversations after he got a text message from her mobile phone, a couple of days after she had left him to meet her mother on April 24, 2012, saying she was breaking up with him. Rahul’s calls to the number went unanswered.

According to sources, Rahul then called up Indrani who told him Sheena had gone away to the US. Rahul told CBI officials that Sheena’s passport was with him, and there was no way Sheena could have left for the US and that it had raised his suspicions. But Rahul, CBI officials said, gave up the search for Sheena after he got a message from Sheena’s mobile phone that she had decided to end their relationship, and his father too called him to tell him that Sheena was in Los Angeles.

Rahul was taken to the exact location at Bandra, to corroborate the call records details that Mumbai police has procured of all the three accused in the case including Indrani, Sanjeev Khanna and Rai.