Four held for robbing jewellery store staffer | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Four held for robbing jewellery store staffer

mumbai Updated: Dec 15, 2010 01:40 IST
HT Correspondent

The four accused who on Thursday allegedly stole gold and cash worth Rs 3.34 lakh from a 22-year-old jewellery store employee was arrested on Monday.

The incident occurred when the employee, Bhairam Patel, who works at Mukti Gold Jewellery owned by Mahendra Jain at Zaveri Bazaar, left from the shop with Jain around 12.15am.

Jain gave Patel a packet containing 160 g of gold, and Rs. 45,500 in cash to be delivered to his brother Suresh Jain who owns the New Madras Jewellery store at Dharavi. Mahendra, who resides in Khar, gave Patel a lift in his vehicle and dropped him at the Dharavi Junction handing over the cash and gold.

Patel placed the cash and jewellery in his inside shirt pocket.

Patel in his statement said, “I was crossing the foot overbridge near Dharavi Junction, when four people attacked me asking me to hand over my mobile phone. I was scared because I thought they would take away the gold and cash and hence fought back. I did not realise they intended to take my cell phone. I thought they knew I was carrying cash.”

The accused Junaid Qureshi, 20, Rajesh Yadav, 19, Taufiq Khan, 18 and another unidentified 16-year-old got suspicious that Patel was carrying something more valuable.

Two of the accused held his hands and two others checked his pockets and found the gold and cash.

They took the valuables and fled. A case was registered with the Mahim police station on December 9.

Police inspector Vinay Kulkarni from Mahim police station said, “Based on a tip-off that we received, we arrested the four accused from the Dharavi area.

They confessed they were waiting at the foot overbridge for over an hour looking for someone who appeared to be rich.

They were arrested on Tuesday and presented before the local court and have been remanded to police custody till December 18.”