Gardener at port trust sets self on fire
A gardener employed at the Mumbai Port Trust (MbPT) Hospital set himself on fire in an alleged suicide attempt within hospital premises on Wednesday.mumbai Updated: Apr 28, 2011 01:44 IST
A gardener employed at the Mumbai Port Trust (MbPT) Hospital set himself on fire in an alleged suicide attempt within hospital premises on Wednesday.
The gardener, Santosh Ramchandra Giri, 38, set himself ablaze inside his superior's office at 11.30am on Wednesday. The police said Giri went to his the office, poured kerosene on himself and set himself ablaze in front of his boss.
"Giri was rushed to the burns ward and later shifted to Masina Hospital for further treatment. He suffered severe burn injuries. We have registered a case of attempt to suicide and are investigating the reason why Giri took such an extreme step," said Nagesh Jadhav, senior police inspector of Wadala police station.
According to Giri's colleagues at MbPT, Giri was being harassed by his superior, which drove him to take such a drastic step.
"Giri had an argument with his boss moments before he immolated himself. He had told us on several occasions that he was being harassed by his boss," said Giri's colleague on condition of anonymity.
The police said they were aware of the allegations that Giri had levelled against his superior.
"Before we record Giri's statement we cannot blame anybody for his suicide attempt. We have sent a team of officers to the hospital to speak to Giri," Jadhav added.
"For the past eight days, my son was talking about the tension at his workplace and that some seniors harassing him. But we never thought he would take such a drastic step," said Giri's mother Ratnamala Giri, 65.
His wife, Neha, was waiting outside their house at BPT colony when Giri did not come at his stipulated lunchtime at 12.30pm on Wednesday.
"Someone came running and told us that my son was injured," said Ratnamala. Giri has a 10-year-old son.
"He has suffered 100% burns. The poison was flushed out from his body. He is on a ventilator and in critical condition," said Dr VS Shangari, CEO, Masina Hospital.