Gas leak causes explosion, five of family injured | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gas leak causes explosion, five of family injured

mumbai Updated: Feb 06, 2010 00:40 IST
HT Correspondent

Five members of a family suffered burns — three of them are critical — after a gas leak led to an explosion in their chawl room at Thane’s Indira Nagar on Friday.

Manoj Gupta (26) lived in the room, where the explosion took place, with his family.

“At 9 am, Pooja Gupta (16) started to make tea when there was an explosion. She got badly burnt. Her brothers, Manoj and Jay (24), Manoj’s wife Sushma (24) and their year-old son Raj too suffered burns,” said Devendra Gupta (31), a relative.

While Pooja is battling for her life with 90 per cent burns at the Thane Civil Hospital. Raj, with 63 per cent burns, and Manoj, with 72 per cent burns, too are critical.

Sushma, with 22 per cent burns, and Jay, who suffered 38 per cent burns, are in hospital.

“They had six cylinders (two empty) in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. One of the cylinders in the bathroom leaked at night. When she turned on the burner the next morning, there was an explosion,” said Chief Fire Officer Vijay Vaidya.

“We are investigating why the family kept so many cylinders in that small room.”

Devendra said Manoj delivered cylinders for Hindustan Petroleum.