Ghatkopar murder: Police suspect elder son, question him | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghatkopar murder: Police suspect elder son, question him

mumbai Updated: Apr 21, 2011 01:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Ghatkopar murder

A day after an elderly woman and her mentally unstable son were found dead in their Ghatkopar residence, the police suspect that the woman’s elder son could have killed them.

The post-mortem reports of 79-year-old Radhabai Shivaramakrishnan, who was found murdered at her Ghatkopar residence along with her younger son Jairam on Tuesday night, revealed that the duo was murdered between 5am and 11am on Tuesday.

Radhabai died due to strangulation, while Jairam, who was hit on the head with a stone, succumbed to head injuries, said Sanjay Shintre, deputy commissioner of police (zone 7).

The police said on Tuesday, Gopalnath, who works as a personal assistant to the University of Mumbai vice-chancellor, left for work around 9.30am and returned to their first-floor residence at Navjyoti building at 8.15pm.

The post-mortem report states that the duo was murdered around 12 to 18 hours before 11pm on Tuesday.

“The residents, who were questioned in connection with the double murder, said they had not seen anyone enter Radhabai’s house on Tuesday. So, we are questioning Gopalnath,” said a police officer, requesting anonymity for lack of authorisation to talk to the media.

“The building neither has a watchman nor closed-circuit television cameras on the premises,” the officer added.

The police added that the Shivaramakrishnan family did not interact with other residents of the building.

Since Radhabai was bedridden and Jairam was mentally unstable, Gopalnath was the one who ran the house and did all the chores, from cooking food to washing clothes.

“Gopalnath took care of Jairam. They did not employ a maid to look after him,” said inspector Chandrakant Puri of the Ghatkopar police station.

After finishing the chores, Gopalnath would leave home around 9.30am for his office at University of Mumbai Kalina campus. Usually, he would return home by 9pm, but on Tuesday, he came home early.

The post-mortem was conducted at Rajawadi hospital.