Girl goes missing from Trombay, found in Chembur | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Girl goes missing from Trombay, found in Chembur

mumbai Updated: Nov 10, 2010 01:55 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A four-year-old girl missing from the Maharashtra Nagar area of Trombay since Monday afternoon was found late in the night.

The Chembur police had to go through 10 anxious hours looking for the girl.

Three girls were raped and murdered in the Nehru Nagar area earlier this year. Therefore, there has been tremendous pressure on the police, especially since one of the accused is still absconding.

According to the police, the girl was playing outside her house in the morning. Around 12.30pm her mother went to call her but she was not seen anywhere.

The girl’s father Nagesh Gaikwad, in the complaint, stated, “Our daughter went out to play around 11am. After playing she normally returns to have a light meal around 1pm. When she did not return till 2pm we started looking out for her. When we could not find her we approached the police.”

The Trombay police officers along with beat marshals and locals from the area started looking out for the girl in every lane.

They also looked for her in the hutments located in Maharashtra Nagar.

Just before they could call it a day, much to everyone’s relief, the Trombay police got a call from their counterparts at Chembur.

Around midnight, a four-year-old girl was found crying near the railway station by a passerby who had handed her over to the Chembur police.

The parents of the girl were called to identify the girl and they confirmed it was their daughter.

An officer from Trombay police station, on condition of anonymity said as he is not authorised to talk to the media said, “Investigations are on to find out how the girl managed to travel a distance of almost 4km. So far, the sequence of events is not clear.”

Assistant commissioner of police (Trombay division) J Khandagale said, “We have asked the locals to keep an eye on their children. The warnings are still not being taken seriously.”