Give plans to push revenue: Maharashtra govt | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 25, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Give plans to push revenue: Maharashtra govt

In a meeting between CM Fadnavis and finance minister Sudhir Mungantiwar, it was decided that all departments must come up with a definite programme within a week, and also start implementing it within three months.

mumbai Updated: Jan 14, 2015 16:34 IST
Sayli Udas Mankikar
Maharashtra finance department

With Rs 2.85 lakh crore debt, which is expected to reach Rs 3 lakh crore by the end of the fiscal, the Maharashtra finance department has asked all sections to come up with individual plans on how they can contribute in increasing in the revenue.

In a meeting between chief minister Devendra Fadnavis and finance minister Sudhir Mungantiwar, it was decided that all departments must come up with a definite programme within a week, and also start implementing it within three months.

Most of the heavy expenditure in 2013-14 included payment of natural calamity relief, subsidy for MahaVitaran consumers, and implementation of the food security scheme.

About 62% of the spending is on salaries, pensions and interest against loans, leaving a measly 38% for the state.

The state is paying Rs 20,000 crore annually as interest, which slows down development work and leaves no space for any asset creation.

“We have to do whatever it takes, make rules stringent, tweak acts and laws to ensure that we get more money into the state ex-chequer. The departments will come up with presentations. In cases where we need to amend acts, it will be taken up in the budget session,” Mungantiwar said.

For starters, it was suggested that the fines for traffic violations be restructured, along with more stringent measures to be taken on roads.

“This was just an example. At present, we earn approximately Rs 564 crore from penalties levied by the traffic police. If the rule are made more stringent and followed properly, we can increase the revenue by at least Rs 100 crore. We are also planning to increase the fine amount, which will help further,” the minister said.