Gorai woman denies affair with senior cop | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 21, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gorai woman denies affair with senior cop

mumbai Updated: Dec 15, 2010 01:32 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The woman named in reports about the suicide of assistant commissioner of police Baburao Gaikwad, on Monday, and her husband recorded their statements with the police on Tuesday. They have been identified as Meena and Narendra Gharat, residents of Gorai.

The Dahisar police have also recorded statements of two policemen in connection with the case. Gaikwad shot himself in the head with his service pistol in his office on the second floor of Dahisar police station. The police said they are in the process of checking Gaikwad’s mobile phone records to ascertain whom he spoke to last and ascertain the probable motive for the suicide.

Gaikwad’s family have, however, demanded a CBI enquiry in the case, said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity.

Meanwhile, the Gharats claim they are not to blame. “We have known Gaikwad for over 20 years and were family friends. We frequently visited each other’s residences. Gaikwad was like a brother to me. Allegations about an extra-marital affair and blackmailing by us are baseless,” said Narendra, a plumbing contractor.

The couple decided to give their version to the police after seeing news channels flash their name in connection with Gaikwad’s suicide.

“We were very close, but Gaikwad never visited my home in my absence. He had a high blood pressure problem for which we had taken him to a doctor in Kurla. He was supposed to meet the doctor again on December 15,” Narendra added.

The couple added that they used to visit Gaikwad in his office and during festivals. They got to know Gaikwad when they had gone to the police station for some official work and had been ‘friends’ since.

Sources said Gaikwad received several calls from one number before he committed suicide. The number reportedly belongs to the couple.

When asked about it, Meena said, “We were supposed to go for lunch on Monday and, hence, I was calling up Gaikwad. Later, when he did not pick up the phone, and when we learnt about the suicide from TV news channels, we started calling frantically.”

Meanwhile, Gaikwad’s funeral was conducted in Borivli on Tuesday. His daughter, Pradyana, who is studying in the UK, flew back to the city. Gaikwad is survived by his wife and three children, Pradyana, Priya, who is a dentist in Mumbai and a son, Aditya.