Govt checking my records, trying to dig out info about me: Hazare | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Govt checking my records, trying to dig out info about me: Hazare

mumbai Updated: Aug 09, 2011 21:10 IST
Anna Hazare

Anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare on Tuesday alleged that the government was trying to dig out information about his past by checking his records in the Army and sending people to his village in Maharashtra to check on his organisation.

"They (Government) have sent people to check my records in the Army. They want to see if they can find something during my service years. I have not done anything wrong throughout my life," Hazare, who served as a jawan in the Army for 15 years, told reporters at the Mumbai Press Club here.

"They have put people after me. They have sent people to my village to check on my organisation. I have no bank balance, so what will you find?. I live in a temple in a eight feet by ten feet room. I just have a plate to eat and a bed to sleep on. What will you find?," Hazare, who hails from Ralegan Sidhi village in Ahmednagar district, said.

Alleging that the government's intentions are not right and that is the reason why they are trying to defame the civil society spearheading the anti-graft campaign, Hazare said, "I haven't allowed a single blot on my character in my entire life."

The 74-year-old Gandhian said he was firm on his decision to go on an indefinite fast in Delhi from August 16 for a strong lokpal bill to tackle corruption.

"Mumbaikars should come and support the agitation against corruption," he added.

Criticising the government's draft of the lokpal bill that was presented in the Lok Sabha recently, he said it was a betrayal of the people.

"The Government said they would present their draft as well as our draft before the Union Cabinet but they betrayed the people by presenting only their draft," he said, adding that the government should withdraw their Lokpal Bill and either bring a new Bill afresh or make amendments in it."