Govt working to better online route to college
After last year’s uncertainty over online admission for junior colleges, the Maharashtra government is trying to get it right this time, reports Sayli Udas Mankikar.mumbai Updated: Feb 14, 2010 01:36 IST
After last year’s uncertainty over online admission for junior colleges, the Maharashtra government is trying to get it right this time.
Coming up are booklets for separate streams, completely online submissions, online fee payments and training sessions for students and teachers alike.
“The online admission process will continue this year, but our officers are trying to work on the issues we faltered in,” State Education Minister Balasaheb Thorat told HT.
Online admission for junior colleges was introduced in 2009. It is a centralised system where a student fills an online form for admission to colleges and streams of his choice, instead of physically collecting and submitting forms at colleges.
Last year, it was announced just two months before the admissions began in June, giving officials and students little time to understand the process.
This year, on the last day of exams, students will get a 15-page booklet for different streams, instead of the earlier combined reckoner on all subjects. Apart from information on colleges, the booklets will have details of different quotas.
“We are giving basic information. For instance, unaided schools mean they get no government funding, which means they have higher fees. For quotas, we will give a list of documents that will be need for submission,” said a senior official from the education department.