With anti-graft crusader Anna Hazare expressing his reluctance towards accepting Z -category security cover, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and home minister RR Patil have decided to convince Hazare not to shun the protection the state government has provided him.
Underlining that the 74-year-old’s security was a definite concern for the state, Chavan, on Monday, said to the media: “We will continue to provide protection to Hazare and review the need for it, time to time.”
Patil said that he would visit Hazare whenever the activist allows him to. “I will talk to Anna myself,” he said, in the city on Monday. “We have provided him security following recommendations by the State Intelligence Department(SID)".
Sources said SID assessed a threat to Hazare, following his successful Jan Lokpal Bill agitation. Hazare’s home town, Ralegan Siddhi, is flooded with visitors. The veteran also plans to go on a countrywide tour soon.
The state government had enhanced Hazare’s security to Z-category, after he returned from New Delhi last week. Z category entails eight commandos and two protection officers.