‘He returned, watched TV, left’
Kasam Shahbuddin Bangali, 18, one of accused in the gangrape of the photojournalist in an abandoned mill compound in central Mumbai, returned home and spent one-and- a-half hours watching television.mumbai Updated: Aug 25, 2013 01:54 IST
Kasam Shahbuddin Bangali, 18, one of accused in the gangrape of the photojournalist in an abandoned mill compound in central Mumbai, returned home and spent one-and- a-half hours watching television.
Bangali had been away from his Madanpura residence for the whole day, according to his mother Chandbibi. He left home around 11 pm after receiving an anonymous phone call and has been incommunicado ever since.
Chandbibi, who spoke to the media when she was let off from police detention, claimed that her son had no bad habits and that Chand Abdul Sattar Shaikh, first accused arrested in the gang-rape case, was a regular visitor to their residence.
“My son (Bangali) and Shaikh are good friends and they visit each other’s house several times. On Thursday, Bangali was out of the house since 1.30 pm and never told me where he was going. He came back around 9.30 pm and there was no sign of trouble on his face. When he left late in the night, he said he would return after sometime. But he never came. After waiting for him, I tried calling on his mobile number, which was switched off,” she said.
“Bangali has at least four cases relating to stealing of junk from railway yard and has spent jail term of nine months till date,” she said.
She said her son, who did odd jobs, would spend much of his time on the railway tracks near Mahalaxmi station.
“Bangali, Shaikh and three others would spend time on the railway tracks. We only learnt about the incident after the police picked up his uncle Kallan for questioning. Later, his sister was also summoned,” Chandbibi said.
Although he is made an accused in the case, things will become clear only after he is found and arrested, she said.