Help feels guilty for selling off employer’s sweets box, ends life | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Help feels guilty for selling off employer’s sweets box, ends life

mumbai Updated: Feb 22, 2012 01:06 IST
HT Correspondent

Feeling guilty that he sold a packet of sweets meant for his employer, a 20-year-old domestic help committed suicide by jumping from the fourth floor of Noble House building on Khar 18th Road on Monday night.

According to the police, Chotu Prajapati had been employed with the Maheshwari family in Jaipur for the past several years. When his employer's son, Mukund, 20, shifted to a rented house in Mumbai a little over a year ago to do his bachelor’s degree in management studies, Prajapati came along.

“On Monday evening, Maheshwari’s aunt visited his house while he was in college. She left behind a packet of sweets worth Rs1,000,” said Subhash Samant, sub-inspector, Khar police station.

However, Prajapati went to the market and sold the sweets for Rs400. “Later, Maheshwari’s mother called to ask if he had received the packet. When Maheshwari asked Prajapati, he confessed that he sold it,” said Samant.

“Later in the night, Maheshwari’s father called and told Prajapati that he was disappointed as they had treated him like their own son.”

After the call, Maheshwari went to his bedroom to study. “Half-an-hour later, at around 11.30pm, he came out of the room and found four Rs100 notes lying on a table in the drawing room.

Hearing a commotion he went to look out the window and saw Prajapati hanging from a grill covering an air-conditioner,” said Samant.

According to the police, Prajapati went out of the drawing room window onto the ledge.

Maheshwari told the police, “I begged Prajapati to come inside, but he kept saying, ‘I do not deserve to live. I have cheated you.’ I told him that I forgave him, but he didn’t listen.”

A resident called the fire department. “As soon as a fire official climbed the ladder, Prajapati loosened his hold on the grill. He landed flat on his face,” said Mangesh Pote, senior inspector, Khar police station.

Prajapati was taken to Bhabha hospital and then shifted to KEM hospital early on Tuesday morning, where he succumbed to his injuries at 10am.

“We have registered a case of accidental death,” said Pote.