Even as BMC corporators passed a resolution on Saturday seeking scrapping of the proposed heritage list, civic chief Sitaram Kunte said the redevelopment of proposed heritage structures will not be affected till a final list is prepared. Kunte said the final list will be prepared only by next year — probably by August 2013 — after considering all suggestions and objections from the citizens. In saying so, Kunte indicated that the proposed list will be reviewed.
"After considering all suggestions from citizens, the final list would be prepared by the Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee only next year, which will then be sent to the state government for approval. Till the list is finalised, redevelopment of none of the proposed heritage structures would be affected. The final authority to take a call on the list rests with the state government," said Kunte. Kunte's statement will come as a reprieve for residents who are in the process of redeveloping their buildings.
Earlier, cutting across the party lines, all corporators passed a resolution seeking cancellation of the proposed list of 868 new heritage structures. The general body meeting comprising all corporators witnessed a six-hour long debate over the issue.
"The list, in its present form, is unacceptable to us for the very reason that there has been a delay of three years in publishing it after it was accepted in 2009 by the then municipal commissioner," said Rahul Shewale, chairman of the civic standing committee. "The list had been gathering dust and several alterations to the original list which was formed in 2005 by MMR-HCS were allowed by the civic administration".