High court nod for Shiv Sena's Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

High court nod for Shiv Sena's Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park

mumbai Updated: Sep 28, 2011 01:55 IST
HT Correspondent

Continuing with its 40-year-old tradition, the Shiv Sena will hold a Dussehra rally at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai on October 6. The Bombay high court (HC), on Tuesday, granted the party the permission to hold its rally at the historic spot.

Acting on the directives issued by the high court while hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by NGO Wecom Trust in May 2010, Shivaji Park was declared a silence zone. Consequently, the police denied the party the permission to hold its rally at the spot this year. Following this, Shiv Sena leader and former member of legislative council Anil Parab moved court to seek permission for the rally.

The division bench of chief justice Mohit Shah and justice Roshan Dalvi, however, directed the political party to abide by the noise pollution norms that permit only 50 decibels of noise during in the day.

As per the plea filed by Parab, the rally is to be held for five hours in the evening on October 6. The HC directed the party to wrap up the function by 10pm and to restore the ground back to its normal state after the rally.

Senior advocate VA Thorat, who appeared for the party, stated that last year too, on being granted permission by the HC, the party had installed sound barriers around the periphery of the ground.

Refuting the claim, V Tulzapurkar appearing for Wecom Trust, argued that as Shiv Sena had violated the noise pollution norms last year, the police had registered a case against them. "Last year, the noise levels outside the ground had crossed 100 decibels," he said.

Maintaining that the decibel levels inside the ground had increased marginally, Thorat assured the HC that extra precautions would be taken this year.

Counsel for Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, KK Singhvi, supported the party's plea. Singhvi said that the civic body had rejected Shiv Sena's application following the HC's May 2010 order but added that permission should be granted, as it is a cultural programme.