Honeybees sting 83-year-old woman to death, 3 more injured | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Honeybees sting 83-year-old woman to death, 3 more injured

A temple visit turned fatal for Mani Thakker, 83, who died after being stung by honeybees on her way home on Tuesday evening.

mumbai Updated: May 03, 2012 01:51 IST
Priyanka Vora

A temple visit turned fatal for Mani Thakker, 83, who died after being stung by honeybees on her way home on Tuesday evening.

Thakker, a Ghatkopar resident, and her relatives were attacked by a swarm of bees in Mulund. While her relatives Usha Thakker, 58, and Champa Thakker, 77, escaped, Thakker wasn’t lucky and was brought dead to MT Agarwal hospital.

Another woman, Jaya, 60, present at the spot was also taken to the hospital.

“Ushaben and Champaben ran looking for shelter. But owing to her old age, Maniben could not run and fell on the road. The bees stung her face and hands, leaving her crying in pain,” said Raju, the victim’s nephew.

Sandeep Shinde, officer incharge, Mulund Fire Brigade station, said, “Around 15-20 women were walking out of the temple when the incident happened. One of the old ladies fell down in the chaos. This happened in our compound and our firemen immediately took her to the hospital.”

The other three women have suffered minor bee stings on their face and hands and were admitted to Dhanvantari hospital, Mulund.

“The condition of all three patients is stable, but they have low blood pressure and swelling in the windpipe. They have been put on anti-allergic medicines owing to the honeybee sting,” said Dr Navin Davba, managing director of the hospital.

While the victim’s son Narendra who was inconsolable, her grandson Gaurav said, “My grandmother did not have any ailment. She recently visited the US and was planning another trip in a few months. We never knew that honeybee sting could actually kill someone.”

Doctors at Rajawadi hospital, Ghatkopar, who conducted an autopsy on Thakker concluded that she might have suffered from severe anaphylaxis reaction because of the honeybee sting. “We have sent her viscera for histopathology examination and only then the final cause of death can be concluded upon,” said a doctor from the post-mortem centre.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature