Hope rests on CCTV footage | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Hope rests on CCTV footage

mumbai Updated: Jul 23, 2011 01:53 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Investigators probing the July 13 serial bomb blasts are now using footage from the closed-circuit television cameras (CCTV) at Opera House and Zaveri Bazar to try and identify the perpetrators.

A team of officers has been showing the CCTV grabs to various people in these localities with the hope of finding a clue. "The stills are being pulled out frame-by-frame and being shown to informers, local business owners, delivery boys and all those who are regular at these places," a source from the investigative team confirmed. At least 12 faces have been short-listed and checks are being conducted to identify them.

The investigators are also looking at all the vehicles that can be seen in the video clips. "Number plates of several vehicles can be seen. We are checking ownership details of each vehicle; once an owner is established, the vehicle is ruled out of suspicion," the source added.

He said that several people have been questioned and investigating teams have visited houses of those who have previously been found to be involved in radical activities. "Families of most absconders say that they have not kept in touch and express ignorance about their whereabouts," the officer said.

Meanwhile, the three persons who had been marked as suspects from the footage of the Opera House blast, have now been identified as businessmen from the locality. "They have been running establishments in the Opera House area for ages," said highly placed source in the Mumbai police. Earlier, police had zeroed in on three figures in the CCTV footage who didn't seem to 'fit in' to the crowd.

However, when footage of the moments after the blast was analysed, the trio was again spotted running for cover. "It is unlikely that the bombers would have waited at that place after planting the bomb," investigators said. Nevertheless, to be doubly sure, the police stepped up efforts to trace the trio. On Thursday, all three were identified and ruled out as suspects.