The state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) is still waiting for the custody of Haroon Rashid Naik, the 33-year old Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative from Mumbra. The agency claims he facilitated the flow of funds for the July 13, 2011, blasts.
In his press conference on Monday, ATS chief Rakesh Maria said the agency would be applying for his custody soon. The ATS now hopes to get Haroon in its custody by Wednesday.
“We have applied for his custody and now the court will decide about it soon. There are procedures to be followed and that can take time. It’s now the courts prerogative to decide on the custody,” a senior ATS officer said.
Haroon, was arrested by the ATS with counterfeit currency from a Wadala guesthouse in August last year. He is currently lodged in Arthur Road jail.
“The financial trail of the blast case began after Haroon’s arrest. This is also the day when we realised it was the IM which triggered the blasts,” Maria had said.