The end of the first phase of placements at the Indian Institute of Technology on Tuesday saw an improvement over last year. In all, 230 companies have visited the campus since placements began on December 1, with 850 offers made as of Wednesday evening. At around this time last year, 800 students had received offers from around 200 companies. The second phase of placements will begin after term resumes on January 7 next year.
“It looks good so far and is as good or better than last year even though the Public Sector Units (PSUs) have not come this time in phase one,” said Avijit Chatterjee, professor in charge of placements at the institute.
The institute has written to the human resources development ministry asking if PSUs would be allowed to come to recruit students in the second phase. The PSUs did not visit in phase one because of a pending court case. However, some PSUs have approached the institute again.
“They have been approaching us, so we have written to the ministry asking for clarification on the matter,” said Chatterjee.
In all, 1,300 students have registered for placements this time.
Around 200 students won’t be participating in the placements largely on account of the fact that they have applied for further studies.