INS Sindhurakshak: 6th body recovered 

  • PTI, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Aug 19, 2013 01:08 IST
  • A diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank in a dock in Mumbai, leaving rescuers scrambling to find 18 sailors who were on board. The INS Sindhurakshak ...

  • Defence minister Antony said there were fatalities when a diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank at a dock in Mumbai. The INS Sindhurakshak had been returned ...

  • Defence minister Antony said there were fatalities when a diesel-powered submarine exploded and sank at a dock in Mumbai. The INS Sindhurakshak had been returned ...

  • A diesel-powered Indian submarine exploded and sank in a dock in Mumbai, leaving rescuers scrambling to find 18 sailors who were on board. (AFP Photo)

  • An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak on Wednesday killed some crew members, defence minister said, giving no further details of what he described as one of ...

  • Ships ride at anchors at a naval dockyard where a submarine caught fire and sank after an explosion early on Wednesday in Mumbai. Defense minister ...

  • An Indian Navy helicopter flies over the naval dockyard in Mumbai. Eighteen sailors were trapped and some are feared killed after an explosion and fire ...

  • A fire vechile is seen entering the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai early morning on Wednesday. A diesel-powered Indian submarine exploded and sank in a Mumbai ...

Battling difficult conditions, rescuers from Indian Navy extricated body of one more victim from the submarine INS Sindhurakshak on late Saturday evening, taking the total number of bodies recovered so far to six, naval sources said.  The rescue team had on Friday extricated badly charred bodies of five of the 18 personnel trapped in the craft after gruelling efforts as naval authorities voiced worst fears that others on board might have been incinerated too.

"Body of one more sailor was recovered from the submarine late this evening," Navy sources said.

The divers had managed to open a second access to the sunken vessel during an overnight operation.

Sources said the Navy divers are carrying out the task of searching within the submarine by "feeling each inch" due to zero visibility within flooded compartments to locate the missing bodies and mark a probable route to be used for further rescue operations.

18 Navy personnel, including three officers, were on board the Russia-made submarine when a devastating fire ripped through the frontline underwater craft following serial explosions on Tuesday midnight. The Navy has instituted a Board of Inquiry to probe the cause of the explosions and fire which is expected to submit its report within four weeks.

Mumbai Police have also registered a case of accidental death in connection with the worst peacetime tragedy suffered by the Navy.

 

also read

'Burning, asphyxiation, and drowning caused sailors' deaths'

blog comments powered by Disqus