A labourer died due to electrocution while cutting grass at the municipal corporation-run Rane Garden in Juhu on Thursday.
The maintenance of the garden is done by ISKCON Trust where Umesh Paswan (39) was employed.
His colleague Sukhilal Choudhary (38) too sustained injuries and is undergoing treatment at Aarogya Nidhi Hospital.
According to the Juhu police, the incident took place at around 11.15 am when Choudhary and Paswan and one Chaurasia (40) were cutting the grass at the garden with the help of grass-cutting machine. "While cutting the grass Paswan and Choudhary reached a wet stretch and due to short circuit they got electric shock," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (zone IX) K.M.M. Prasanna.
Chaurasia immediately informed the temple authorities who rushed them to the hospital.
While Paswan was declared dead on arrival, Choudhary is undergoing treatment. Paswan, who is originally from Bihar, had been working with ISKCON temple for the last five days.
"We have registered a case against an unidentified person. Further investigations are still on," said Senior Police Inspector Deepak Katkade of Juhu police station.
On Wednesday night five children from Fatherwadi in Juhu got electric shock and were rushed to Aarogyanidhi Hospital by the locals.
Though the children were serious when admitted, the police on Thursday said they were out of danger.
Police have arrested the chairman Jitendra Doshi and secretary Devendra Majidhia of Rose society where the incident took place.
The children, who were playing on the sand outside the society tried to catch the iron bars of the railing of the compound wall and got electric shock.
Apparently, a loose wire of the society’s electric pump was lying on the compound due to which the railings had electric current passing through them.
Doshi and Majidhia have been remanded to judicial custody.