Jigna spoke against Dey while talking to Rajan: police | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Jigna spoke against Dey while talking to Rajan: police

mumbai Updated: Dec 07, 2011 22:58 IST

Highlight Story

Journalist Jigna Vora, arrested for her alleged role in the J Dey murder, has confessed that she had spoken against senior crime journalist while talking to gangster Chhota Rajan, a crime branch official said today.

"She admitted that she had spoken ill of Dey while talking to Rajan," said the official, requesting anonymity.

The forensic laboratory report on the six mobile phones belonging to Vora is being awaited, he said, adding, "Vora is not co-operating much. There are many facts which she is hiding."

Vora, deputy bureau chief of The Asian Age, had handed over four mobile phones to a lady and one Murtuza known to her after her name cropped up in the probe and reports about her likely arrest began circulating in the media, the official said.

After her arrest, police recovered two mobile phones from her. Recently, she handed over one mobile phone and Murtuza gave three mobile phones and a memory card to the crime branch stating that Vora had given these phones, police said.

"She had used these four phones for the past one-and-a-half-year at some point or the other," he added.

Dey, working with city-based tabloid Mid Day, was shot dead in suburban Powai on June 11 by assailants, who followed him on motorcycles at the behest of Rajan, who gave Rs five lakh to the accused for the murder contract, police said.

Vora was arrested last month for allegedly providing vital information regarding Dey to Rajan, resulting in the latter's killing, according to police.

Nearly six months after the murder of Dey, city police filed the charge sheet against 12 accused, including Rajan, in the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court.

The charge sheet did not name Vora. A separate supplementary charge sheet, elaborating her role in the crime, would be filed later, police said.