Juhu assault: Cops may lose out on hikes
The two constables who refused to help the 33-year-old woman slapped by a stranger on Juhu beach are set to face harsh penalty and could lose out on their annual increment for the next few years. Mohamed Thaver reports.mumbai Updated: Dec 27, 2012 01:59 IST
The two constables who refused to help the 33-year-old woman slapped by a stranger on Juhu beach are set to face harsh penalty and could lose out on their annual increment for the next few years.
The departmental probe, initiated after the December 20 incident, has found the two guilty of dereliction of duty. The duo had earlier been given a punishment drill to patrol the beach every morning.
The incident came to light after HT, in its December 22 edition, reported that the woman, a marketing proffesional was jogging at the beach when a stranger slapped her. The two constables posted at the beach refused to help her and asked her to report the matter at the Santacruz police station.
Confirming that the departmental inquiry was complete, additional commissioner of police (west region) Vishwas Nangre Patil told HT: "The inquiry has concluded that the two constables should have helped the woman on priority. A default notice has been issued to them," adding that this could result in their increment being held.
Expressing satisfaction with the action, the victim told HT: "I think this is enough to teach them a lesson that if next time, a woman approaches them with a problem, they take serious note of it. It will also show other policemen what action they could face if they do not give due importance to cases of crime against women."