The admissions process for junior college will begin on Friday. The Education Department stated this in its admission schedule released on Thursday. The first merit list for students opting for vocational subjects will be declared on July 30 and the general category admission list will be out on August 9.
Students can submit their forms online until July 26. College principals anticipate that cut-offs will increase by around three to four per cent with both SSC and ICSE students benefiting from the state's Best-Five scheme for junior college admissions.
"In the coveted colleges percentages will go up by three to four per cent and on the whole it is likely to go up by one to two per cent," said Dr Madhavi Pethe, principal of ML Dahanukar College.
"The admission software is ready. We are sure there will be no problems this time," said an official from the education department.
"We have not yet received the verdict on the sports petition but if there are any changes to be made in the software, we will do so."
Classes are likely to begin only in the last week of August because of the legal battle to decide the criteria for admission.
"Last year we lost time because of the swine flu break," said Dr Shobana Vasudevan, principal, RA Podar College at Matunga.
"The extra-curricular activities also have been delayed because of this delay in the admissions process."
Last year, colleges did not hold the first unit tests, conducted extra classes and vacations were shortened on account of the delay in admissions.
"We will just have to wait for directives from the government," said Dr Marie Fernandes, principal, St Andrews College.
"If the government indicates that we will have to conduct extra classes during vacations, then we will do so."
This year, schools will help their students fill in the application form. Last year the process was conducted at make shift centres near colleges but it led to chaos because the schools were not involved.