The state is ready to begin junior college admissions on Monday itself, provided the Supreme Court gives its verdict on Friday when the Best-5 case comes up for hearing, an education department official said on Thursday.
On July 5, the Maharashtra government filed an appeal against the Bombay High Court’s June 23 verdict that struck down the state’s Best-5 scheme. Parents of ICSE students had moved court alleging that the policy, wherein SSC students’ best five scores among six subjects would be counted for admission, gave SSC students an unfair advantage.
The education department has sounded off its technical partner for online admissions, Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation Limited (MKCL). “If Best-5 is extended to ICSE students or if all subjects for SSC students have to be counted, MKCL can make the necessary changes in a day,” said an education department official, requesting anonymity. “We are prepared to start with the admissions process on Monday.”
The marksheets issued to the 16 lakh SSC students across the state reflect the Best-5 total.
Once admissions begin, the process is likely to be completed in 35 days as against the 42 days last year, the official said.
“Whatever happens should be for the benefit of all children,” said Dr C. Pathak, principal of HVB Academy at Marine Lines, an ICSE school.
“I was getting bored at home so I started going to office with my dad. Hopefully college will start soon,” said Rohil Shah, a student of Green Lawn’s School at Breach Candy.