After eight women were given temporary accommodation when their hutments at Kalwa were demolished earlier this month, 280 other women have approached the Bombay High Court saying they should also be given a place to stay.
The Thane tehsildar had demolished illegal hutments at Kalwa’s Sainath Nagar on October 6.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mohit Shah and justice DY Chandrachud on Monday directed the government to reply to the two petitions by Friday.
A special bench had on Sunday directed the government to provide temporary accommodation to eight women. Mathews Nedumpara, their advocate, said 280 other women had filed a second petition.
Additional government pleader Vijay Patil assured the court on Monday that the eight women and their children had been given accommodation. The women want the demolition order be recalled.
The petitioners claimed at least 400 families had been living in Sainath Nagar prior to 1995 and are legally entitled to protection. The government should have given them accommodation before the demolition, the petitions said.