Kalyan family consumes poison; one dead, 2 critical | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kalyan family consumes poison; one dead, 2 critical

mumbai Updated: Oct 05, 2010 01:58 IST
Kiran Sonawane

One member of a family in Kalyan died and two others are critical after they allegedly consumed poison on Sunday night.

Satish Jadhav (30) died, while his wife, Rahibai (25), and their seven-year-old son are undergoing treatment at two hospitals in Ulhasnagar.

The reason behind the attempt to suicide is still unknown, the police said.

According to Uttam Jadhav, a relative of the family, Satish worked with an electrical shop.

A few hours after dinner, he and his family started to complain of severe pain in the stomach and vomiting.

They were taken to Shivneri Hospital, where Dr Prabhu Ahuja started immediate treatment.

Ahuja said: “It was not a case of food poisoning. It is a clear case of suicide. The family has consumed poison, probably rat poison.”

Realising that Satish and the boy were still critical, the doctor asked the relatives to transfer them to other hospitals. However, Satish passed away while on his way to Central Hospital.

The doctor said they had to ask the family to shift Satish and the child, as they were not responding to treatment.

“Our aim was to stabilise the condition of all patients. The deceased and the boy needed specialised treatment that we couldn’t offer,” Ahuja said, adding that Rahibai is stable and responding to treatment.

Inspector Balkrishna Patil of Vithalwadi police station said a few members of the family were accusing Shivneri Hospital of negligence.

“A team rushed to the spot to avoid any law and order problem. We told the relatives that they could approach the Medical Health Committee and lodge a complaint against the hospital. An inquiry will be conducted, and if the allegations are true, the committee will guide them on how to take the case forward,” Patil said.