Kidnapped 2-year-old rescued after 40 days | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kidnapped 2-year-old rescued after 40 days

mumbai Updated: Jun 29, 2011 00:54 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The parents of a two-year-old boy were reunited with their son who had been kidnapped around 40 days ago. Mumbai Central Government Railway Police (GRP) officials rescued the boy and arrested a minor girl and her parents for the crime on Saturday.

Suraj was reported missing on May 15 by his mother Madhuri Sahu, 23, after three people, who were their neighbours, allegedly kidnapped the boy.

The police said the accused, Pushpa Chaudhary, 21, and her daughter Puja, 15, told Madhuri that they were going to Rajasthan and needed to buy tickets.

“On May 15, Pushpa and Puja brought Madhuri and Suraj to Dadar police station claiming that they wanted to buy tickets. Pushpa told Madhuri to get the tickets while she took care of the children. When Madhuri returned with the tickets, she found that Pushpa and the children had disappeared,” said Shakeer Shaikh, police sub-inspector of Mumbai Central police station.

When Madhuri and her husband, Rajesh, could not find them, the couple reported the matter to the police.

A week after filing the complaint, the police said, Rajesh received a phone call from Pushpa’s husband, Samay, who said Suraj was with him.

“We traced the number to a village in Rajasthan. However, when we got there, the trio had left. Over the next five weeks, Samay called Rajesh from three different numbers. We finally traced them to Alwar village in Rajasthan,” said Shaikh.

The Mumbai police approached the local police for help. “With their help, we managed to trace a man named Deepchand Chaudhary who had given Samay documents with his identity proof to buy SIM cards. However, Deepchand told us he was unaware that Samay had kidnapped a child,” said Shaikh.

The police then received intelligence that the trio had returned to Alwar. The police located the house they were living in and nabbed the three and rescued Suraj. “They had been our neighbours for many years and often looked after Suraj in our absence and we took care of their daughter,” said Rajesh, who worked with Samay as a construction labourer.

Puja has been sent to the Dongri Children’s Home and her parents have been remanded to police custody. “We are trying to trace people who may have aided the three,” said Shaikh.