Kidnapping at Airoli: Mother points finger at fruit vendor | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kidnapping at Airoli: Mother points finger at fruit vendor

mumbai Updated: Jul 02, 2015 09:34 IST
HT Correspondent
Mumbai news

Three days on, the Navi Mumbai police still have no concrete clues in the case of the 8-year-old girl who was allegedly kidnapped by some unidentified person or people from Airoli on Monday.

The girl’s mother Sherly, however, told Hindustan Times, “I suspect a fruit vendor who sells mangoes in our area. He used to stare at my daughter and me whenever we went out. Also, he has not come to the area for two days ever since my daughter went missing. On Wednesday, he told the police that his fruits had got rotten and he had gone to get fresh fruit.”

The child went missing while walking home from the gate of her building to her house after getting off the school bus.

There were some other children who alighted from the same school bus, but they said they did not know anything about how the girl went missing.

An 11-year-old boy from the neighbourhood claimed to have seen the girl getting into a red car with an unidentified person.

Sherly said, “I taught my daughter not to speak to strangers. She’s a bit shy and does not have many friends in the building. I am sure someone whom she knew has taken her away,” she said.

The girl’s father Francis who reached home from the Netherlands on Tuesday night said, “We don’t have any enemies, so it is difficult to suspect anyone.”

The family has informed the police about a maid who had been sacked around six months ago after she stole some jewellery from the house and about some carpenters who had been
repairing furniture at their house.

“None of their relatives stay in this area. All are in Goa, Bangalore and Kandivli. So, some outsider whom the girl knew well is involved in it,” said a relative.

Suresh Mengade, deputy commissioner of police (crime), said, “A total of 11 teams led by 17 officers are investigating this case. So far, we have not found any concrete evidence against anyone.”