After two months and several extensions of deadlines, the civic body will close its doors to public suggestions and objections to the proposed heritage list, on Saturday.
Although the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) witnessed a surge of responses in the month of September after the list stirred a controversy between politicians and developers over redevelopment issues, the number of recommendations dwindled in the past week.
“Despite extending the deadline by a week to ensure that people did not suffer because of the public holidays, the response was lukewarm,” said an official from the civic body’s development plan department. With not more than 50 responses in the past week, the list has received around 1,200 recommendations so far.
According to civic officials, soon after the deadline, a civic committee in consultation with the state government will be set up to review the recommendations and organise a public hearing. “We will be providing additional manpower to the department to review the recommendations submitted by the citizens. We are also planning to set up a committee in consultation with the state government to review the list and conduct site visits if necessary,” said Sitaram Kunte, municipal commissioner, BMC.
Incidentally, of the received recommendations, the civic body has received more than 300 cyclostyled responses from residents of Shivaji Park, opposing the heritage grade-I status proposed for the Shivaji Park precinct. Last month, political parties active in the area had also initiated a signature campaign to mobilise public objections.
“We have received cyclostyled responses from several residents of Shivaji Park. The letters are photocopied sheets with the complainants only filling their names and ticking the occupant or tenant option,” said a civic official.