The high court extended its stay on junior college admissions to Tuesday next week, prolonging the anxiety of lakhs of students who have passed their Class 10 board exams.
The lawyer for 21 parents of ICSE students, who had together legally challenged the state government’s admissions policy on June 7, said they wanted to amend their petition.
The state government had said in February that from this year onwards SSC students’ final percentages would be calculated based on their best five out of six subjects.
So far, all six subjects have counted for SSC students, while ICSE students’ percentages have been based on seven subjects and CBSE students are tested on only five subjects.
“Terms will be short and studies will be affected,” said Janvi Thosani (15), a student of Lilavatibai Podar school and the all-India ICSE topper.
This is the third year running that junior college admissions have been delayed because parents of ICSE students have legally challenged the state government’s formula.
Each year, the government has announced a formula to give a leg-up to the state’s more than 14 lakh SSC students vis-à-vis the less than 20,000 students of the two central boards, who it believes benefit from lenient marking in the languages. But each year, the court has struck it down.
This year, the formula has caused SSC results — announced on Thursday — to soar, leading to anxiety among ICSE students, who in Mumbai, have disproportionately dominated the most sought-after colleges such as St Xavier’s, Jai Hind and Ruparel.