Lepto, dengue claim first victims of the season
The season’s first leptospirosis and dengue death were reported on Sunday morning. A 25-year-old man from Mulund succumbed to leptospirosis in Nair hospital on Saturday night. He was admitted to Nair on July 1 for suspected leptospirosis.mumbai Updated: Jul 05, 2010 01:58 IST
The season’s first leptospirosis and dengue death were reported on Sunday morning.
A 25-year-old man from Mulund succumbed to leptospirosis in Nair hospital on Saturday night. He was admitted to Nair on July 1 for suspected leptospirosis.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects both humans and animals. One can contract the disease if one walks in water that is infested with animal urine. The chances of contracting leptospirosis are higher if one has an open cut or wound.
“In order to prevent contracting the disease, one should avoid walking in puddles during monsoons,” said an advisory issued by the civic body.
Meanwhile there are nine suspected lepto cases admitted in the hospitals in the last four days. There were 19 suspected cases admitted last month.
Elsewhere, a 25-year-old woman died in a civic peripheral hospital, she was suffering from dengue.
She was admitted to the hospital on July 1 and died the next day. Currently there are seven dengue cases admitted in the hospitals across the city.Dengue is transmitted by the bite of an Aedes mosquito infected with any one of the four-dengue viruses.Hospitals reported 20 suspected dengue cases last month.
“Fever and cold are the symptoms of these diseases, so people shouldn't ignore a fever. A lot of people self-medicate, that leads to further complications. They should take proper tests and treatment promptly from a doctor,” said, Dr G.T Ambe, executive health officer, BMC.Meanwhile the cases of fever have also been on a rise, since Sunday. 844 people have been admitted to the civic hospitals of which 219 were admitted on Sunday itself.
Malaria cases are also on a rise; in the last four days there will have been 370 admissions so far, of which 90 cases were reported on Sunday.
There have been 373 cases of gastroenteritis in the last four days because of which the civic body has had to issue an advisory asking people to avoid eating street food and to boil water before consumption. Also, 20 more people tested positive for swine flu on Sunday taking the toll to 57 cases this month.