Lover sets 25-yr-old ablaze | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 24, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Lover sets 25-yr-old ablaze

mumbai Updated: Jan 03, 2013 00:56 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
crime against women in mumbai

Even as an upset country raises its voice against the atrocities women are subjected to, in the aftermath of the gang-rape and death of a 23-year-old in Delhi, crimes continue unabated and women continue to suffer and die.

A 25-year-old woman, Jaspal Khan, died early on Wednesday after she was set ablaze by her boyfriend in Mankhurd on Tuesday evening for allegedly refusing to lend him money. She had sustained 90% to 95% burns.

The Mankhurd police said the victim, who used to sell fish, had been in a relationship with the accused Aftab Khan, an auto driver, since the past four years.

Jaspal had been abandoned by her husband Javed, also an auto driver, six years ago, after which she stayed alone in the Railway sankalp transit camp in Mankhurd. Jaspal has a six-year-old son from Javed, who lives at her mother’s home in Govandi.

The police said Aftab had the habit of taking money from Jaspal.

“Aftab visited Jaspal’s home frequently and would stay with her. On Tuesday, when he went to her place and demanded money, she refused. Furious, he took a can of kerosene, poured it on Jaspal and set her ablaze,” said Shankarsingh Rajput, senior police Inspector at Mankhurd police station.

Jaspal was rushed to Sion hospital by Aftab himself.

“He realised the gravity of what he had done and took her to Sion hospital in an auto,” said Rajput.

“In the auto, Aftab asked Jaspal to lie to the police that she had suffered burns after a kerosene stove burst.”

Aftab fled after admitting her to the hospital. The police record Jaspal’s statement after hospital authorities notified them. “

In her statement, Jaspal told us of her ordeal. We had initially registered a case of attempt to murder, but as she died, we have converted it to a murder case,” Rajput said.

The police launched a manhunt and arrested Aftab from Shivaji Nagar at 5am on Wednesday. He was produced before court and has been remanded in police custody till January 8.