The new two-layer entry system has been scrapped and schools are once again free to admit 25% students from economically-weaker sections (EWS) to kindergarten or Class 1, Vinod Tawde, Maharashtra education minister announced on Thursday evening.
Tawde said that the state will allow schools to select their entry level for admitting students under the 25% quota as prescribed by the Right to Education Act (RTE), 2009. Admissions to RTE seats will be extended by nearly a week to make the changes.
The new two-layer entry system had divided 25% students in Class 1 and kindergarten in a school, this year. But many schools had refused to admit students to Class 1, saying that they had already filled up their quota.
To redress their grievance, the department decided to scrap the new system in a meeting on Thursday.
Now, schools will be given time of seven days to inform the government, which entry-level they have decided to follow.
“We will ask schools what their entry level will be. If they want to keep it as Class 1, we will accept that. If they want to admit students at the nursery level, they can do that but they will not be compensated for those years as the RTE is applicable from Class 1. Schools will not have to admit students twice,” said Tawde.
However, it wasn’t clear if a common entry level will be applicable to all schools. Tawde said that they decided to do away with the two-layer system, as it was confusing to schools and parents.
Out of 2,596 students allotted seats in the online admissions, only 708 had secured admissions by April 15. The civic body had also pulled up schools on Wednesday for turning down admissions.