Mahim collapse: BMC admits to getting complaint

  • Vaishnavi Vasudevan, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • |
  • Updated: Jun 20, 2013 02:22 IST

After denying that they knew about the alterations made in Aftab Mansion that collapsed in Mahim, the BMC on Wednesday admitted that they had received the complaints.

Advocate Rizwan Merchant, who lost three members of his family in the collapse on June 10, met civic chief Sitaram Kunte and submitted the documents that he had been sending to the civic body since 2008.

After his meeting with Kunte, Merchant said, “The commissioner was shocked to know that the officials neglected these complaints and mislead him. He has promised action.”

Kunte told HT that he was waiting for a report by the deputy municipal commissioner. “After that action will be taken against the officials concerned,” he said.

The BMC had earlier said that they received only one complaint from the residents of the buildings about an illegal hoarding. However, the documents that Merchant showed the civic commissioner showed that all the issues were mentioned in the complaint.

“We want the civic officials to be arrested,” said Merchant, adding, “I can only hope that the BMC commissioner will initiate strict action.”

Merchant had been writing to the BMC regarding an illegal structure behind the building, a hoarding on the terrace and alterations made to the basement of the building since 2008.

 

also read

Split with Sena helped BJP learn its true strength: CM

blog comments powered by Disqus