Main accused in police net, Dutch girl returns home | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Main accused in police net, Dutch girl returns home

mumbai Updated: Jan 06, 2012 02:04 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The 18-year-old Dutch girl who was allegedly attacked and molested by two men near the Aarey Colony check naka in the early hours of December 27 left for her country on Thursday.

The police arrested the main accused, Anil Yadav, 28, a rickshaw driver, from his hometown in Jaunpur area of Uttar Pradesh. With the help of the description given by the victim, the police had earlier arrested the other accused, Rajpati Nishad, on December 29.

“The victim identified both the accused during the identification parade held on Wednesday that was conducted at the collector’s office in Borivli. On Thursday morning, she flew back to Holland,” said Ramrao Pawar, additional commissioner of police (north).

According to the police, the victim was a Class12 pass out and had come to India on a tourist visa in September. Initially, she had stayed with a friend in Andheri, but later moved to Mulund.

On the night of the incident, the victim had gone to Vasai for a function. A friend dropped her at Dahisar check naka at 12.50am and from there she took an auto to Mulund. But instead of taking her via the Western Express Highway, the rickshaw driver, Yadav, diverted the vehicle towards Aarey Colony, the police said.

The police said that Nishad boarded the rickshaw there and sat besides the driver. They then took the rickshaw to an isolated spot behind Unit 14 and snatched her belongings. When the duo tried to rape her, the victim started to scream for help, which alerted the passers-by.

The duo feared that they would be caught and hence fled with her purse containing money, a mobile phone and a debit card.

A few locals rushed the victim to Vanrai police station and a complaint was filed against the accused. Preliminary medical reports confirmed that the girl had not been raped.