Amid the protests in against a woman's gangrape in New Delhi, an anguished father, who lost his son to mob violence in Mumbai, has asked for the prime minister's intervention seeking harsher laws to tackle such matters.
In October last year, Keenan Santos, 24, and Reuben Fernandes, 29, were stabbed after a scuffle near a shop in suburban Andheri in northwest Mumbai as they tried to save their female friend from being sexually harassed.
The two were attacked and beaten up by a group of goons, leading to their death.
Keenan's father, Valerian Santos on Monday wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, sharing his thoughts on the Delhi gang-rape, which has outraged India.
"I wrote this letter because even after my son sacrificed his life, nothing has been done about women. These things are going on. So, it's high time that the prime minister should intervene and do something," he said.
Speaking to IANS, Santos said that he had given a petition to Maharashtra home minister RR Patil in December last year saying that penal provisions against molestation should be made non-bailable.
"But nothing has been done. Some stringent laws need to come out now. The incident in Delhi is a gruesome one, so stringent laws are the need of the hour," he said.
"My boy sacrificed his life but the authorities have not woken up. And if anything is still not done, it's possible that we will take out a march - that will be a peaceful march. Something has to be done. Even if the prime minister decides to ignore my letter, I shall be satisfied to have done my bit," he added.