Man acquitted in blasts cases held for staging own murder | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 06, 2016-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Man acquitted in blasts cases held for staging own murder

mumbai Updated: Oct 07, 2010 01:38 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

On the run for seven years after staging his own murder, Syed Mossuddiq Wahiuddin Quadri, who has been acquitted in seven blasts cases in the city, was arrested from Chembur on Wednesday.

The police are now trying to find out who he had killed in 2003 and why did he have to assume a fake identity when he had already been acquitted in the blasts cases.

Officials of the Thane unit of the Anti-Terrorism Squad had arrested Quadri from an autorickshaw stand near Maitri Park on the Sion-Trombay Road, said Additional Director General of Police Rakesh Maria.

Quadri was found in possession of a .32 pistol, a magazine and five rounds and has been charged under Arms Act.

On August 15, 2003, the police found a burnt, headless body at Quadri’s house at Sai Ashiana Apartment in Mira Road. His wife and brother had identified his body and the police registered a case of murder.

However, three months back, the ATS got information that Quadri was alive. A team, led by Senior Police Inspector Rajan Ghule and Inspector Jitendra Agarkar, worked on the information and learnt that he was to arrive in the city.

Quadri had dumped the unidentified man’s head in the Vasai creek and then fled to Hyderabad via Nashik and Manmad. He lived in Hyderabad under the name of Imran Amu Mansur Hasni. He had also got a voter’s identity card and driving licence on Hasni’s name.

Maria said Quadri, an associate of convicted Mumbai-based bomb maker, Dr Jalees Ansari, was named in seven blasts in the city that were carried out by Ansari. Ansari’s module had carried out 35 blasts across the country between 1989-94.

“Quadri was charge sheeted in the blasts at Azad Maidan canteen, Gol Deul, Shiv Sena office at Mulund, Bhoiwada, Regal cinema, Girgaum Chowpatty and Mahim police station,” Maria added.

Quadri, however, was acquitted in all the cases and was released in 1998.

He then reportedly formed a gang and carried out several robberies in 2001. Two robbery cases were registered at Pydhonie and LT Marg police stations each and one at at the Azad Maidan police station.

“He had planned everything [the murder] because he had sent his wife to her parents’ house and his children to his brother’s house before he disappeared,” Maria said. The robbery cases against him had been closed because he was believed to be dead.

“We will now investigate who had he killed and why did he need to assume a fake identity when he had been acquitted in the blasts cases,” Maria said.