Man arrested for dowry harassment | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man arrested for dowry harassment

mumbai Updated: Mar 16, 2010 02:07 IST
Rachna Pratihar

Following the intervention of the state home department and a top cop, on Friday the Shahu Nagar police arrested Vinayaga Nickson, a journalist of a Tamil daily, for alleged dowry harassment.

“Following complaint by the accused’s wife Manju on March 9, Nickson was arrested on charges of mental and physical harassment and threatening. He was released on bail on Monday,” said Lata Donde, senior inspector.

The victim had submitted a complaint to the state home secretary on March 5 seeking action against Nickson after her application (dated February 25) to the Shahu Nagar police station went unheard.

Hindustan Times has a copy of the complaint. The FIR was registered on March 9.

On March 11, Manju’s parents met Sadanand Date, additional commissioner of police (Central region), requesting arrest of the accused.

Police said that the couple married in March 2009 and at present Manju is seven months’ pregnant.

“Just three days after the marriage, Vinayaga came home drunk and started assaulting me. He demanded Rs 50,000 dowry and a bike,” said Manju, a B Com graduate.

The couple resides at Anna Nagar in Dharavi.

The victim’s parents said that the abuse was a daily routine. “Vinayaga and his girl friend, Rasamma used to frequently beat me up,” alleged Manju.

On August 11 last year, Manju even attempted suicide. “Even after Manju drank poison, her in-laws did not come to visit her at the hospital for three days. Later, they requested us not to approach the police and sought forgiveness,” said Muthaiah Selvi, Manju’s father, who works as a chemical supervisor at Dombivli.

According to the victim’s family, the torture did not stop even after Manju became pregnant.

“On February 15, Vinayaga came home drunk and started assaulting me. He tore off my clothes and beat me,” Manju said.

Manju’s parents, who stay in the same locality, were informed by the neighbours who heard Manju crying. “When we entered the house, there were no clothes on Manju and she lay in a bruised state,” added Selvi.