Man arrested for killing 19-year-old at Malad building | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man arrested for killing 19-year-old at Malad building

mumbai Updated: Apr 02, 2010 01:44 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

The Malad police arrested a youth for allegedly killing Deepak Gupta (19) who was found murdered at the terrace of an eight-storey housing complex at Link Road in Malad (West) on Wednesday.

Gupta ran a bakery with his brother, Sohanlal (24), on the ground floor of the same Nestle building. He was found hanging from a pipe with a telephone wire around his neck and head crushed with a brick.

The accused, Ramesh (name changed), a resident of Malvani, was arrested on Wednesday night. Ramesh was produced before the Borivli court on Thursday. The accused claimed he was a minor and the police were framing him. The court ordered the police to send him for a medical examination to ascertain his age. “We have arrested one person and two of his accomplices are still wanted in the case,” said a senior police officer, requesting anonymity.

Sources said the police zeroed in on Ramesh as the victim’s cellphone records showed the last call he had received was from Ramesh. “When Ramesh was picked up for questioning, there were bite marks on his hands. He said he was bitten by a three-year-old girl but inquiries revealed there was no young girl in his house,” said a police official.

The police have seized a bloodstained shirt of the accused. “The building’s watchman, Laxman Gupta, who discovered the body, identified that Ramesh was a frequent visitor to the building,” said an official. Ramesh claimed that one of his relatives lived on the fifth floor of the building.

A police officer said Ramesh, with his accomplices, used to visit a woman who lives in the same complex. “Gupta, who was also interested in the woman, used to eve-tease her. The accused had come to know about it and wanted to teach Gupta a lesson,” an official added.

On Tuesday, the accused came to the Nestle building and called Gupta to join them in the terrace. “The accused had an argument with Gupta followed by a scuffle. They later killed him,” said a source.