Man charged for kidnapping son wants bigamy complaint quashed | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man charged for kidnapping son wants bigamy complaint quashed

mumbai Updated: Aug 30, 2010 01:19 IST
Urvi Mahajani
Urvi Mahajani
Hindustan Times
bigamy complaint quashed

Bunty Chhug, who is facing charges for kidnapping his five-year-old son from his first wife’s custody in November 2008, has landed himself in another criminal case for bigamy filed by his second wife’s first husband.

Chhug had knocked the Bombay High Court’s doors last week for quashing of the bigamy case.

The high court asked the state government to reply to Chhug’s petition by September 2.

Despite not having legally separated from his first wife, Priti, Chhug married one Nisha Sachdev on June 1, 2008.

Nisha in turn, had also not legally separated from her first husband — Kanahiyalal Agicha.

Agicha filed a complaint under section 494 (Marrying again during the lifetime of husband or wife) of the Indian Penal Code against Chhug and Nisha in the Thane sessions court in 2009.

The Thane sessions court issued process against Chhug and Nisha on June 16, 2009, Vinod Tayde, Agicha’s advocate, told the high court.

Meanwhile, Sonia Miskin, Priti’s advocate, said that Priti too had filed a bigamy complaint in 2008.

She had filed a divorce petition before the family court in 2007 which is still pending.

Priti and Chhug got married on December 13, 2002 and Sujal was born on June 1, 2004.

Priti had complained that immediately after their wedding, Chhug would harass her and was addicted to alcohol.

August 18, 2007, Chhug beat her driving her and Sujal away. She took refuge at her parents’ house.

She was given Sujal’s custody by Kalyan family court.

On November 14, 2008, when Chhug had to permanently hand over Sujal’s custody, he ran away with the child.

Priti then filed habeas corpus (produce person in court) petition before the high court as the Ulhasnagar police failed to trace Sujal.

In September 2009, police traced Sujal after the high court summoned then director general of police S.S. Virk. Chug was arrested almost a fortnight after that.

Chug was arrested almost a fortnight after that.