Man cheated online made to run from one police station to the other | mumbai | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Man cheated online made to run from one police station to the other

mumbai Updated: Jan 29, 2013 02:29 IST
Mohamed Thaver
Mohamed Thaver
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The personnel at Dahisar police station not only sat on the complaint filed by Anup Sharma, 26, who was duped in an online deal in December, for over a month since he reported the crime, but also misdirected him to another police station when he went to enquire about its status.

Sharma had agreed to purchase a furniture set online for Rs. 17,000 and had paid Rs. 5,000 in advance, after which the seller allegedly went missing. Sharma approached the cyber police station at BKC on December 26, which took his application and transferred it for investigation to the Dahisar police station, under whose jurisdiction Sharma resides.

“I was told I would receive a call from the Dahisar police station, but it never happened,” said Sharma, who runs a coaching class. The complaint had been forwarded on December 27, confirmed N More, senior inspector of BKC cyber police station.

Sharma then approached the Dahisar police station on January 26 to enquire about the status of his complaint. “A constable there confirmed the application had been received. He told me inspector Girish Sarang was handling the case,” Sharma said.

“When I went to meet Sarang on the first floor, he was not there, but a constable outside his cabin told me that I should go to the Kashimira police station, as the area I reside in does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Dahisar police station,” he said.

The Kashimira police station comes under the Thane rural police, while the one in Dahisar is administered by the Mumbai commissionerate. Sharma said, “I did as told and went to Kashimira police station, although it did not make any sense as I reside in Mumbai, not in Thane rural district. As expected, they told me that they could not do anything and I should head back to the Dahisar police station. I finally gave up and returned home.”

When HT contacted inspector Sarang, he said, “We have recorded his statement, and will be registering an FIR in a day or two.”

When asked why he did not contact Sharma for a month, Sarang said, “We were investigating the matter as we could not go only by his version. However, we are now satisfied, and hence will register an FIR soon.”

DCP (zone 12) Pravin Patil said, “Jurisdiction should not be an issue. I will look into the matter, and if it warrants an FIR, it will be registered.”